sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] RFC: Index file search order

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] RFC: Index file search order
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:33:30 -0700

On 2012-04-12 at 18:02 -0500, John Clizbe wrote:
> Presently, I have the search order as the list:
>     [ "index.html"; "index.htm"; "index.shtml"; "index.xhtml";
>       "index.xhtm"; "index.xml"; ]
>     if none of these are found "index.html" will be returned so to have a
>     meaningful error message.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?
> Should any additions or deletions be made to the list?

"index.shtml" should probably go: that's for server-side includes, as
processed by Apache and some other servers.  The <!--#something -->
stuff, a bit like PHP or other inline scripting markup systems.

AFAIK, the others are all typically static content safe to be served
as-is (even if some systems do handle transforms on .xml).

Some of those are supposed to have MIME types other than text/html.

-Phil