sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Hosting debian packages

From: Jeffrey Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Hosting debian packages
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:39:31 -0400

On Apr 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:03 -0500, John Clizbe wrote:
>> I wouldn't call the project's Google Code downloads page "Unofficial" :-)
>
> Surely, but the advantage of distros having their repostories... you get
> something that is tailored toward the distro and its other packages,…

Distros did indeed have a monopoly on Linux once, and I'm
sure distros would like to continue (and monetize) their monopoly.

Your argument simply doesn't apply to SKS key servers. Exactly
what benefit is achieved by wider distribution? There *is*
benefit to a larger pool, but distribution isn't necessarily
leading to wider usage, nor -- because of the nature of SKS pools --
is it likely that wider distrition increases usage.

> someone (maintainer) has taken care of all difficulties and traps, you
> get security support, etc. pp.

And distros get "free consulting" from upstream which is where
most security matters ultimately get resolved.

> In some way it may make attacks more difficult in contras to everybody.

What attacks? Distros are all honking their benefits as
        Free from malware!
not any positive benefit.

73 de Jeff