sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SRV records and HKPS requests

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SRV records and HKPS requests
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 23:46:02 -0500

On Dec 2, 2012, at 7:59 PM, Phil Pennock <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2012-12-02 at 10:23 -0500, David Shaw wrote:
>> On Oct 6, 2012, at 10:20 PM, Phil Pennock <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> GnuPG folks (since this is cross-posted, if my mail makes it through):
>>>
>>> there is a bug in GnuPG's SRV handling, I've identified where I think
>>> it is, it's in the second block of text from me; the first part of this
>>> mail relates to SKS and some policy issues around the new keyserver
>>> pool Kristian has added.
>>
>> Somehow I didn't notice this mail when it originally came through.  Anyway,
>> thanks for the report.  Clearly the port supplied in the SRV should be
>> honored.
>>
>> Can you try the attached patch (against 2.0)?
>
> Might be a sleep issue, but I'm having trouble persuading gpg2 to use
> gpgkeys_hkp instead of gpgkeys_curl, or even telling them apart from
> "--keyserver-options debug,verbose" output.
>
> I'm going to bail and grab coffee, but here's what I have for testing,
> which should make it easy for you to test too.

Hmm.  Were you intending to test with the internal HTTP support or with
libcurl?  You're currently built with internal support:

> gpgkeys: curl version = GnuPG curl-shim

Looking at the internal support, it seems not to work on platforms with
getaddrinfo(), which is odd as that part works in the 1.4 code.  Anyway, try
the attached patch in addition to the original one, and you should hopefully
have better results.  I also fixed an issue where the Host: header was not
being set correctly after a SRV.  It seems to me that like SNI, the Host header
should be the SRV name, and thus should never have a :port attached.

I tried talking to keytest.spodhuis.org to test, but all the ports returned in
the SRV were not listening.  Or at least, not listening to me ;)

$ telnet keyserver.spodhuis.org 11373
Trying 94.142.241.93...
telnet: connect to address 94.142.241.93: Connection refused

$ telnet keyserver.spodhuis.org 11374
Trying 94.142.241.93...
telnet: connect to address 94.142.241.93: Connection refused

David