sks-devel

[Sks-devel] throttle lookups? / multihomed server

From: Stephan Seitz
Subject: [Sks-devel] throttle lookups? / multihomed server
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:00:28 +0100

Hi guys,

after a quick peek into my sks logs (without a particular reason ;) ), I
found a few interestingly huge blocks of lookup requests. These
unusual(?) amounts of lookups were requested en-bloc by a single IP.

Sometimes single IPs were requesting upto a few hundred times the very
same key.

I can imagine a few scenarios why this happens, going from badly
configured keyservers to address harvesters, to users falling asleep on
the F5 key...

Just out of interest: Is it reasonable to think about limiting the
requests per IP per second? Or is it just the prevailing noise on the
wire, the keyservers have to live with?

anyway, I'm more concerned about the following entries:

Reconciliation attempt from <ADDR_INET [REDACTED]:55073> while gossip
disabled. Ignoring.

These attempts are done by about 20 different IPs. I compared a few of
the PTR records against the servers in the membership file and found at
least 2 matches. So my server *should* accept at least some of theses
reconciliation attempts.
I suspect multihomed servers and/or dual-stack as the reason for this,
but I'm not entirely sure.

Could some of you offer some suggestions, helping to understand and
probably fix this?

Cheers,

- Stephan