sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] javascript web of trust visualization: CORS and keyserve

From: Geoffrey Irving
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] javascript web of trust visualization: CORS and keyserver spam
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 13:05:51 -0700

On Sep 8, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Geoffrey Irving <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am writing a little web-of-trust visualizer in javascript:
>
>    https://github.com/girving/trust
>    http://naml.us/trust
>
> The goal is to make it easy for people to both visualize their own webs of
> trust and the webs of trusts of others, without having to install various
> scripts and gpg.  Hopefully easier pretty pictures will motivate a few more
> people to learn about this stuff.  This is a first prototype, so apologies
> for the lack of explanation on the page and all the bugs (the links are red
> because all signature verification fails).  Also my web of trust is rather
> tiny, currently.
>
> Caveats aside, I have one issue and one request:
>
> The issue: existing keyservers don't implement the CORS protocol
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing), so javascript
> code is disallowed from accessing them directly.  Fixing this is a matter of
> adding the header "access-control-allow-origin *" to hkp responses.
>
> The request: are there any volunteers happy with me pointing the code at
> their keyserver by default?  If yes, would you be okay adding the CORS
> headers?  I am happy to write the patch if someone doesn't beat me to it.
>
> Ideally I would like to eliminate the proxy server and move to pure
> javascript once CORS is in place, but if others feel this would cause too
> much keyserver spam I can also expand my proxy server to do more caching
> (which unfortunately complicates deployment for others wishing to experiment).
>
> Thanks,
> Geoffrey

Here's candidate patch implementing CORS.  It is completely untested (except
that it builds), and makes the entire webserver completely CORS-open.  This
shouldn't be a problem for keyservers, since third party javascript code isn't
any different from third party non-javascript code, and the keyserver has no
javascript code of its own.  I added a few comments to the changed functions
emphasizing they should only be used for public data; these can be stripped or
expanded as others prefer.  Let me know if this patch is acceptable, or if any
changes are desired.

Thanks,
Geoffrey