sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Heartbleed ans HKPS pool

From: Christian
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Heartbleed ans HKPS pool
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 08:30:16 +0200

Hey,

and while we are on the subject: If I install my Class 2 (!) OV
Certificate from startssl the hkps button changes red. A valid
certificte is not valid. I can understand that self-signed
certificates will turn the hkps indicator red, but why don't we accept
OV certificates that every client will accept in the first place?

I hardly think that *any* client has the CA of sks installed per
default (nor would an average client care to).

And the validation von sks CA is the save as a Class 1 DV certificate.

tl;dr: We should allow valid signed certificates by default, alongside
of the SKS Ca and only turn the button red on self-signed (or invalids).

- -Christian.

On 27.05.2014 23:21, dirk astrath wrote:
> Hello Kristian

>>> Please consider to remove vulnerable servers from HKPS pool.
>>> This is not a cosmetic problem like SKS version number but
>>> much serious. Some guys promise secure channel for
>>> communication but this is everything but secure.
>> I'll consider this once we reach the grace-period timeout (i.e.
>> revoking any certs that haven't been updated that seems
>> vulnerable)
>
> Currently i'm waiting for a change (or announcement) from your
> site.
>
> While installing "OCSP Stapling" on one of my servers some weeks
> ago I detected, that there is no entry for an OCSP or CRL-Server in
> the certificates. At the beginning of this month I ran out of time
> and therefore had a talk to Benny Baumann, who made some
> investigations and sent you an email around two weeks ago.
>
> To sum up, why I didn't sent you a new CSR up to now:
>
> If you now revoke a certificate, nobody will know this (since there
> is no source for the revocation).
>
> This means, that a new certficate doesn't make it more secure than
> it is now:
>
> If i install a new certificate based on a new private key, you (and
> I) think, that this one is secure. If there is now a
> "man-in-the-middle"-attack, he may present the old certificate.
> The browser on the client site now thinks, that the correct
> certificate is used because the revocation status cannot be checked
> ... ;-(
>
> Can you please update your CA (or at least inform us about
> possible changes or your investigation in this case?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Have a nice day ...

- --

 Christian Reiss - address@hidden       /"\  ASCII Ribbon
                                                  \ /    Campaign
 GPG Key: http://gpg.christian-reiss.de            X   against HTML
 Jabber : address@hidden                    / \   in eMails

 "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.",
                                        John Milton, Paradise lost.

---
is active.