sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks-keyservers pool max diff: needs update?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers pool max diff: needs update?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:57:43 -0500

Hey,

When eyeballing the list of servers in and out of the pools at:
  https://sks-keyservers.net/status/
I notice that a large number of the servers _in_ the pool have a
positive delta of 450-500.  That's _above_ the mean.  Assuming an even
distribution, a similar number will be that far _below_ the mean.

But the max difference is 300, so most of the servers which are
operating normally but that far behind the average, at the moment of
being polled, don't get listed as healthy.

It looks like there's about 20 servers being excluded, simply because
the threshold for this calculation is based on an absolute number of
keys changing, so a given update rate, but fortunately more people are
using PGP now.

I think that "300" needs updating, to 500 or so.

Case in point: my server was Δ-333 when last polled, but is currently
Δ+512 above mean.

-Phil