sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Advertising temporary disconnections?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Advertising temporary disconnections?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 05:49:18 +0000

On 2017-01-10 at 18:49 -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> I have seen several messages lately on this list regarding temporary
> (i.e. a day or two, AFAICT) server disconnections.

> [...]                              means that either they won't act on
> it, or that they will need to manually disable/re-enable my server in
> their membership files... I never felt the need to say publicly.
>
> Now, what would the general feeling be on this? Do we expect
> privately-run SKS servers to have a four-nines, five-nines or such
> uptime?

My thoughts:

There's no expectation of uptime, but there are people who check into
the status of their peerings and shoot out messages saying "Hey, did you
know that your server is down?" or perhaps just bulk-disable servers
which are down when they happen to look.

I don't expect my peers to manually disable/re-enable their peering with
my server if I announce maintenance.  There's no need: the
reconciliation will handle it fine.  You only really need to worry about
peers which are far behind in key count, because of the burden.

The announcement is thus not a request for action.  It's a notice to
support inaction: "Don't worry about it, it's expected, all is fine,
don't spend your time digging into it or mailing me."

I'm interested in knowing about other opinions.

-Phil