sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] wserver_timeout value causing cascading failure?

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] wserver_timeout value causing cascading failure?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:43:15 +0200

On 04/24/2017 09:33 PM, Jonathon Weiss wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I'm pulling your questions into this thread, which I started before
> seeing your mail:
>
> For reference, I can download this key without a problem.  While I'm
> topologically closer to pgp.mit.edu than you are, I believe the 1s
> timeout should only count the time passing the info to Apache, not all
> the way back to you (but please correct me if you think I'm wrong here).
> If it is, in fact, taking more than 1s to transfer extremely large keys
> from SKS to Apache, then I'm somewhat between a rock and a hard place
> here.  If you go back and try again now, are you still seeing the
> problem?

Fwiw, I'm still seeing it.

> As noted, I dropped this timeout form 4s to 1s last week to deal with
> the cascading failure described below.
>
> The reverse proxy is Apache, but it is SKS' wserver_timeout that is set
> to 1s.
>
> Any thoughts and advice would be welcome here.  I have a couple, but
> they are either of dubious effectiveness, or relatively drastic / much
> slower to implement.

One thing that springs to mind is multiple instances of SKS behind the
reverse proxy to distribute the load (I run two instances myself - and
that is for lesser load). Would just need separate key port and do local
reconciliation only between them necessary , can make sure stats page
(?op=stats) only reaches the primary so it exposes the external peers on
the reverse proxy.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand