sks-devel

The state of peer connectivity

From: Skip Carter
Subject: The state of peer connectivity
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 09:55:21 -0800

Hi,

Following the loss of half my peers last week (thank you to all that
added me afterwards). I wondered just what the state of peer
connectivity was.  So I wrote an application to find out.

I started with the servers currently in the pool from
https://sks-keyservers.net/status/

Then queried each active server in turn with /pks/lookup?op=stats

I ended up with the attached diagram.

There were 34 active servers.  The average number of peers per server
is 12.  But there are a handful of servers with only 1 or 2 peers.  I
did not find any islands.
(I ignored the peers with RFC 1918 addresses and servers that did not
respond when I made the measurements).

--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter   0xF29BF36844FB7922
address@hidden