sks-devel

Re: Pool dried up

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: Pool dried up
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:38:44 +0000

Hi, Todd.

On 23/03/2021 03:37, Todd Fleisher wrote:
On Mar 22, 2021, at 13:28, Andrew Gallagher <andrewg@andrewg.com <mailto:andrewg@andrewg.com>> wrote:

I happened to check the pool just now, and there are only three nodes in it:

1pgpkeys.uk <http://pgpkeys.uk>[@]
2sks.pod01.fleetstreetops.com <http://sks.pod01.fleetstreetops.com>[@]
3sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com <http://sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com>[@]

BTW it has just happened again:

1 pgpkeys.eu[@]
2 pgpkeys.uk[@]
3 sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com[@]

Looking at the cached metadata it appears that when the spider ran, pod02.fleetstreetops nodes was unavailable, as was pgpkeys.co.uk <http://pgpkeys.co.uk> (the domain registration has expired).

I can’t speak for pgpkeys.co.uk <http://pgpkeys.co.uk>, but I have not seen any issues with sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com <http://sks.pod02.fleetstreetops.com> (nor hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net <http://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net>, which it powers) today.

Apologies, I didn't mean to cast doubt on the reliability of your node, but rather on that of the spider. It does not maintain much of a historical record, and so depends on a single measurement per node each hour for its operation. This makes it very vulnerable to transient issues, such as connection timeouts. One dropped connection, and 90% of the pool disappears for an hour, even if all the nodes stay up.

There are a few interlocking design issues at work here IMO, none of which are the responsibility of individual operators.

--
Andrew Gallagher