sks-devel

Re: Lying about Hockeypuck being SKS?

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: Lying about Hockeypuck being SKS?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:35:36 +0000

On 22/03/2021 22:02, Ryan Hunt wrote:

However I’d like to see some efforts made towards:
 - Rolling our SKS hacks back upstream with HP, initially this seems stupid but HP has already put in efforts to maintain compatibility with SKS peers.. I think a transitional SKS emulation mode that is easy to implement and maintain upstream is worthwhile, especially if we can come up with a plan to deprecate this nonsense down the road and its just to get us through the near future.

There is still a lot of traffic coming in to the pool, and it's become a running theme in the PGP space to have archaic software still in production use. However even when there were only three nodes in the pool earlier today, pgpkeys.eu didn't break a sweat serving its share.

There is a strong argument that it is better to break things entirely so that people still using old software don't have a false sense of security. But I really dislike the idea of breaking things without building the replacement first.

I’m thinking like a dedicated machine readable status/health API endpoint that the server can sign with its own key and the pool provider can verify its the server it claims to be, and make accommodations for blacklisted/removed keys/max key sizes/etc accounting for variations in key counts.

+1

TBH I think creating our own pool is likely our best option going forward, yeah it’ll take some time (ie years) before Distros and the various PGP clients come back.. but most of em that I used personally that came out the box w/the SKS pool no longer do so I think the damage has long been done.

I think the idea of a self-organising pool has some fundamental flaws. As was pointed out in another thread, it would be relatively easy for a malefactor to set up a few new pool nodes and then artificially inflate their key count in order to exclude honest operators. Even as an otherwise well-behaved member, it's possible for an operator to gather a log of IP addresses vs keys searched, in order to build a contacts graph (for the record, pgpkeys.eu permanently deletes its logs on a short cycle, currently <=48h and likely to decrease in the near future).

Tor is one way to address this, but it is not suitable for everyone. So running a keyserver comes with a requirement of trust and reputation, because privacy and security are not the same thing, and must sometimes be balanced.

My own view of the medium-term future is that there will be a diversity of keyserver operators that will not agree on everything (e.g. policy blacklists, data retention) and we have to find a way to coexist. The SKS pool structure is based on the assumption that there is one notional "complete" (if time-dependent) dataset, and all keyservers will tend to converge towards it. That was always a fragile assumption, and we should be working to make it unnecessary, so that individual operators can choose to what extent they wish to stay in sync with others.

Currently, we have a number of disconnected "big" keyserver operators (keys.openpgp.org, mailvelope, keybase, ubuntu...), but I don't believe it is user-friendly to expect non-experts to worry about which keyservers to publish to or fetch from. I hope to see them all back in communion with each other, even if only to distribute the bare minimum such as key revocations. This will by necessity have to be an open (and preferably well-defined) protocol, and it would be nice to have two or three independent implementations, but one step at a time.

So I suspect we'll end up with something more akin to DNS, where there are a smaller number of "root" servers, and then individual organisations can set up their own instances that field internal requests (thereby minimising behaviour leakage) but also sync with the roots. Individual users can choose to talk to whichever keyserver has the best reputation, rather than relying on a random pool member to be an honest one.

--
Andrew Gallagher