sks-devel

Re: Simulating SKS best practice [Was: keyserver.dobrev.eu is back runni

From: Martin Dobrev
Subject: Re: Simulating SKS best practice [Was: keyserver.dobrev.eu is back running Hockeypuck]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 15:39:44 +0100

Hi Andrew and team,

On 15/04/2021 12:33, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
On 23/03/2021 12:58, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
On 21/03/2021 21:48, Martin Dobrev wrote:
I had to play with mod_rewrite and force a redirect from //pks/lookup?op=stats&options=mr/ to //pks/lookup?op=stats /to let the script parse HTML. I don't have a proper explanation why peers and recon port are not picked from the produced JSON but left out (line 286/287).

I can confirm this works, and it has the unexpected side effect that pgpkeys.eu is now recognised as SKS, even though it is still declaring itself Hockeypuck.

The following hockeypuck servers appear to have implemented a stats rewrite rule:

keyserver.dobrev.eu
Server has been reconfigured with the below additional rule.
pgp.cyberbits.eu
keys.okash.it
keys*.andreas-puls.de

Could I humbly request of hockeypuck operators that this workaround be limited to sks-keyservers.net's IP address? This would allow the machine-readable JSON to be read by other spiders which may or may not exist in the future... ;-) ;-) ;-)

For example, pgpkeys.eu uses the following apache snippet:

```
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^37\.191\.231\.105
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} op=stats&options=mr
RewriteRule ^/pks/lookup http://127.0.0.1:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats [P,L]
```

Similarly, could we collectively agree to emit {software: "Hockeypuck"} and the real Hockeypuck version number when simulating SKS, so that the human-readable status is accurate? So long as "Hockeypuck" has a capital "H", the pool spider shouldn't reject you (it may reject you for other reasons, but not for running hockeypuck).

I can open a PR to change the default software key value from hockeypuck to Hockeypuck.
Thanks, everyone.

Regards,
Martin Dobrev