slib-discuss

Re: [Slib-discuss] slib test failure

From: Aubrey Jaffer
Subject: Re: [Slib-discuss] slib test failure
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:38:34 -0500 (EST)

 | Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:16:02 +0100
 | From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <address@hidden>
 |
 | Hi Aubrey,
 |
 | while running the slib-3.1.5 test on amd64 I get the following failure:
 |

 | scm Template.scm format.scm printf.scm genwrite.scm pp.scm
 | ppfile.scm strcase.scm debug.scm trace.scm strport.scm scanf.scm
 | qp.scm break.scm stdio.scm strsrch.scm prec.scm schmooz.scm
 | defmacex.scm mbe.scm sort.scm comlist.scm logical.scm sc4opt.scm
 | sc4sc3.scm sc2.scm mularg.scm mulapply.scm trnscrpt.scm
 | withfile.scm dynwind.scm promise.scm values.scm eval.scm null.scm
 | charplot.scm root.scm cring.scm selfset.scm limit.scm timecore.scm
 | psxtime.scm cltime.scm timezone.scm tzfile.scm math-real.scm
 | r4rsyn.scm scmacro.scm synclo.scm synrul.scm synchk.scm repl.scm
 | macwork.scm mwexpand.scm mwdenote.scm mwsynrul.scm record.scm
 | dynamic.scm process.scm hash.scm wttree.scm wttest.scm
 | sierpinski.scm soundex.scm simetrix.scm rdms.scm alistab.scm
 | paramlst.scm batch.scm crc.scm dbrowse.scm getopt.scm dbinterp.scm
 | dbcom.scm dbsyn.scm colorspc.scm cie1931.xyz cie1964.xyz
 | resenecolours.txt saturate.txt nbs-iscc.txt ciesid65.dat ciesia.dat
 | scainit.scm scaglob.scm scamacr.scm scaoutp.scm scaexpp.scm
 | structure.scm grapheps.scm glob.scm getparam.scm vet.scm
 | top-refs.scm hashtab.scm chap.scm comparse.scm alist.scm ratize.scm
 | modular.scm dirs.scm priorque.scm queue.scm srfi.scm srfi-1.scm
 | xml-parse.scm pnm.scm http-cgi.scm htmlform.scm html4each.scm
 | db2html.scm uri.scm dft.scm solid.scm random.scm randinex.scm
 | obj2str.scm ncbi-dna.scm minimize.scm factor.scm determ.scm
 | daylight.scm colornam.scm mkclrnam.scm color.scm subarray.scm
 | dbutil.scm array.scm transact.scm arraymap.scm phil-spc.scm
 | lineio.scm differ.scm cvs.scm tree.scm coerce.scm byte.scm
 | bytenumb.scm matfile.scm tsort.scm manifest.scm peanosfc.scm
 | linterp.scm math-integer.scm srfi-2.scm srfi-8.scm srfi-9.scm
 | srfi-11.scm srfi-23.scm srfi-61.scm
 |
 | ;ERROR: open-file mode? "r?"
 |
 | The error leads me to believe that somewhere open-file (of which
 | there is one for every *.init ?) is called with a modes argument of
 | "'r?". However the sources don't seem to have "'r?"
 | anywhere. Fixing up open-file(s) to treat 'rb? the same as 'r and
 | 'rb also leads to nothing. Any idea what's going on?

Thsi happens because "Template.scm"'s redefinition of load conflicts
with "Init5e4.scm"'s redefinition of load.

The "test" target is over 15 years old.  I haven't run it in years.
And it hasn't been maintained; note that several .txt files are being
loaded.  So I am removing it.

My experience has been that most problems which develop over time with
SLIB are due to changes in implementations and their support in .init
files.  Running an application (JACAL) which uses defmacro manages to
flag most of them.