slib-discuss

Re: [Slib-discuss] SLIB breakage with Guile 1.8

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Slib-discuss] SLIB breakage with Guile 1.8
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:34:27 +0200

Hi Aubrey,

Aubrey Jaffer <address@hidden> writes:

> Guile-1.8.1's list->array takes two arguments; but it should take
> three (see http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-63/srfi-63.html or
> http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/~jaffer/slib_7.html#SEC193 )

Yes, Guile's `list->array' is not that of SRFI-63.

> Appended is a patch which corrects list->array, as well as providing
> missing array->vector and vector->array.

Thanks for the quick fix!

>  | [*] It took me a while to find `slib3a5.zip' because the URL that
>  |     appears in past announcements is now invalid since the file moved to
>  |     the `OLD' directory:
>  |       http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/ftpdir/scm/OLD/slib3a5.zip
>
> That invalidation is intentional so that people don't download and use
> obsolete versions and then send me problem reports for bugs which have
> already been fixed.

Well, it's common to keep all versions of a given piece of software in
the same directory (e.g., software at ftp.gnu.org usually works this
way).  The assumption is that it should be easy for users to find out
whether a newer version is available, while still allowing them to find
older versions if need be.

> According to
> "http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Automated-FTP-Uploads";,
> distributing to ftp.gnu.org is a complicated procedure involving
> multiple FTP transfers, files with "directives", and GPG signatures.
> Can it be done by a Makefile?

It's actually not very complicated.  Gnulib has a script called
"gnupload" that does this automatically:

  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=build-aux/gnupload

For full automation, you may want to use "gpg --use-agent" along with
the GnuPG agent.

> + (cond
> +  ((string<=? (scheme-implementation-version) "1.8.1")

AFAICS, the prototype of `list->array' didn't change between 1.8.0 and
1.8.1, so shouldn't it be "1.8.0" or just "1.8"?

Thanks,
Ludovic.