slib-discuss

[Slib-discuss] SLIB as R7RS libraries

From: Peter Lane
Subject: [Slib-discuss] SLIB as R7RS libraries
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:14:34 +0000

Hi list,

Over the last few weeks, I have been converting SLIB code into libraries to import into and run under R7RS Scheme implementations. The major change is that, instead of using SLIB's (require 'name) we can use (import (slib name)), making each package a standard R7RS library.

I have translated the majority of the files. Out of the 159 files in SLIB 3b5, I have ended up with 91 libraries. Out of those not converted, 15 are now available as SRFIs (e.g. the important "arrays" package is srfi 63). The 57 remaining either now have their functionality covered in R7RS itself, or I decided not to convert at this time - there is no define-macro, for example.

Along with some other libraries, my repackaged SLIB files are available at:
https://github.com/petercrlane/r7rs-libs
The README lists the original packages, and any changes I made.

A summary of which files have become which libraries or been left out is on the wiki: https://github.com/petercrlane/r7rs-libs/wiki/SLIB-Files:-New-Names-and-Changes

My aim is to make the code work under three R7RS implementations: Chibi, Kawa and Larceny. There are a few platform-specific features needed here and there, but most of the conversion has gone quite smoothly. However, there are bound to be a number of inadvertent issues, so I am gradually working through the libraries, writing test cases and/or examples. Those libraries I have tested are marked at: https://github.com/petercrlane/r7rs-libs/wiki/SLIB-Libraries:-Test-Status

I hope this will be of interest to current or potential users of SLIB.

    Peter.

--
Peter Lane
http://peterlane.info/scheme.html