slib-discuss

Re: [Slib-discuss] slib.sh error with Gambit 4.9.3

From: Nick Gasson
Subject: Re: [Slib-discuss] slib.sh error with Gambit 4.9.3
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 17:35:15 +0800

On 01/10/21 10:35 am, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
> I installed gambc (4.8.8-3.1) on Ubuntu and it starts successfully both
> with and without -:s.  However, with -:s, "./slib.sh gsi" accepts:
>   (define :: 5)
> but not without -:s.
> According to R5RS, :: is a valid identifier.
>
> Which version of Gambit are you running?  Perhaps there has been a
> recent change in its behavior.  gambitscheme.org seems to be down
> tonight.

I got that error with 4.9.3 which is the latest release. I tried 4.8.8
and it works correctly with -:s as you say. I narrowed the problem down
to the define-macro at the end of gambit.init. This seems to be a bug in
Gambit 4.9.3, see here:

https://mailman.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2020-August/009503.html
https://github.com/gambit/gambit/issues/384

I tried the latest unreleased version and indeed it works correctly
again so I don't think there's any problem with SLIB here.

Thanks for your time.

--
Nick