[Speechd] KTTS and SpeechD integration

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: [Speechd] KTTS and SpeechD integration
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:48 2006

    GC> KDE is going to be changing its multi-media architecture and
    GC> integrating that with Speech Dispatcher will present some
    GC> challenges.  For example, I can't tell you whether SpeechD
    GC> should use GStreamer, or ALSA, or ... whatever.

Generally, I wouldn't worry much about particular implementation
features, they can be added any time.  The difficult thing is design.
Maybe you can work with Hynek on adding special unofficial Speech
Dispatcher features necessary for the step-by-step KDE integration.

    GC> If I did SCREEN READER in a separate connection, would the two
    GC> connections speak simultaneously (not necessarily a bad thing)?

No.  It's expected that each application connects to Speech Dispatcher
separately, while the message queue is global.

    >> Long text reading can be done simply with the TEXT priority
    >> assuming the user listens to the text and doesn't do anything
    >> else.  I think "background" text reading is not possible in the
    >> Speech Dispatcher model.  I like your "long text" priority idea,
    >> it might be useful to add it in some form to Speech Dispatcher.

    GC> Yes please.

What do you think, Hynek?

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Here is my advice, don't try to program the bleeding edge for the
general populace unless you really, really, really like migraines.