[Speechd] Client notification about message start/stop and reached index

From: Gary Cramblitt
Subject: [Speechd] Client notification about message start/stop and reached index marks
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:49 2006

On Friday 13 May 2005 12:27 pm, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> Please let me know what do you think about it. I'd especially like to know
> if this is suitable from the client application point of view or if some
> different approach would be better (which one?) as I don't have much
> experience with the application side.

I apologize for this late reply.

For the most part, what you propose is good.

I'm a bit concerned about the security aspects.  It should be possible for a
GUI used to control Speech Dispatcher in realtime to obtain events for all
applications speaking on the same machine, and to control output from those
applications.  (In this case, the pause and resume events become useful
because the controlling GUI needs to know if an application has
paused/resumed its output.)  On the other hand, concerns about security are
an issue too.  I wonder if there is some way we can satisfy both needs?
Perhaps the ability to designate a single "privileged" application in the
configuration file?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer