Default Volume

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Default Volume
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:50 2006

Hi Gary,

DefaultModule being set to 100 in the configuration is
a hack to deal with the current limitation of our output
modules. The idea in SSIP to have 0 for default, with the
possibility to make the sound louder through positive values,
is correct, I'd say.

However, the current sound output modules only achieve volume
modification through multiplying the sample data with a constant
factor. Of course, this factor needs to be less than one,
otherwise the samples can overflow.

I do not currently know how to make samples comming from
a synthesizer louder with the simple audio output we use.
Maybe there is a way through ALSA?

Until this gets fixed, SSIP value 0 for volume will have
the effect of  50% sound volume level comming from the
synthesizer and thus we need to have 100 as default in
speechd.conf.

I however think we should not spoil clients, their documentation,
SSIP etc. with this implementation detail of Dispatcher.
spd-say is doing the correct thing, unless the SSIP documentation
is changed.

Of course I'm open to suggestions.

With regards,
Hynek