eSpeak - added punctuation and capitals indications

From: Jonathan Duddington
Subject: eSpeak - added punctuation and capitals indications
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:51 2006

In article <address@hidden>,
   Hynek Hanke <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) Punctuation at the end of message is not spoken
>       espeak --punct "Hello, how are you?"
> The question mark is not spoken. If I put an additional space
> at the end
>       espeak --punct "Hello, how are you? "
> I hear "question" correctly at the end.

Yes, that's a bug. Thanks.

> 2) When I use signalization of capital letters with a word
>       espeak -k 2 "Hello, how are you? I'm fine."
> I hear both the sound icon (as in -k 1) and the word
> "capital" or "all capital". I should be hearing only the words,
> not the sound.

That was deliberate.  Ideally, "capital" would be spoken in the altered
voice in the same way that punctuation is, but that's difficult to
achieve at the point where capital letters are detected, so I thought
the sound icon might be useful to distinguish from an actual word
"capital" in the text.  I'll take another look to see if I can do the
altered voice instead.

> 3) The pitch signalization of capital letters seems to both
> higher the pitch of the word containing the capital letter
> (good) and lower the pitch of the rest (bad). It should only
> work as signalization of capital letters, so the rest of the
> text not containing capital letters should be left intact.

That shouldn't happen, and I found no evidence of it in a test that I
did.

The "praat" program from  www.praat.org  is useful to analyse speech,
including a pitch trace.

> You might want to mention the sound-icons package you use in the
> config file in the documentation, so that users know where to get
> them. We however do not have a project page for sound-icons for
> some reason on www.freebsoft.org. I believe it is a bug and will be
> fixed soon. You can give the direct download address
> http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/sound-icons/
> in the meantime.

I don't know anything about the use sound icons or sound icon packages,
although I noticed there was a directory  /usr/share/sound/sound-icons
on my computer.  Perhaps recommended packages would be better
documented at the Speech Dispatcher level.