Identifying Clients in Speech Dispatcher

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Identifying Clients in Speech Dispatcher
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:57:33 +0100

Steve Holmes wrote:
> I understand the string that is matched to pull client specific
> options comes from an example like "*:emacs:*".  But I wonder how one
> could identify that middle node that is actually acting as the client
> that connected to Speech Dispatcher.  I know that usually that would
> be the base executable but what about Xwindows under gnome? In
> particular, I'm thinking of Orca's back-end to Speech Dispatcher.  I
> can't really tell what the exact module name is.  When I looked in the
> speechd logs, I didn't see any messages about client identification.
> So how can that be done?

Hi Steve,

normally, the client identification to Speech Dispatcher should
be a part of the documentation of the given program or its
backend. You can also find out the name from Speech Dispatcher
logs, the line is like this

  Updating client specific settings "root:spd-say:main" [...]

You however need logging priority 4 for this information to
become available (default is 3, so you neet to switch it in
speechd.conf).

With regards,
Hynek Hanke