gathered a little bit of info on espeak segfault

From: Hermann
Subject: gathered a little bit of info on espeak segfault
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:01:30 +0200

am Di 22. Apr 2008 um 10:35:23 schrieb Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au>:
>>> Here is what I saw when speech-dispatcher last crashed. (I'm using
>>> the espeak.conf driver)
>>>
>>> sd_espeak[2627]: segfault at 080d0000 eip b7cfb82c esp b664005c error 4
>>>
>>> Is this as recently posted a libasound problem? Unfortunately I'm not
>>> able to revert back to .15 until I do some debugging with my pc
>>> sound, so is this related to libasound? Or something different?
>>
>> I think it is. The best solution is to change Espeak's output to OSS.
>> You do this in espeak.conf.
>
> OK, but what package is required for OSS? It won't speak with OSS... And
> I guess mplayer won't work then for me...
> I dunno...

OSS should com with your System, I don't know how to additionally install
it. You can use mplayer if you:
- Either stop the speech before starting it or
- Install alsa-oss and thype:
aoss mplayer <myfile>

>>> Should I try sd from cvs out?
>>> I'm using the one in debian lenny repos...
>>>

>> I don't think that it changes anything, since the crashes are due to
>> libasound.
>
> How are you sure about this?

Because I have the older libasound2 packages still on my system, and if I
downgrade them, everything works right. So this must be a libasound
problem. Furtermore do I remember that other people on this list reported
the same.
Hermann