questions about spd with ibmtts

From: mk360
Subject: questions about spd with ibmtts
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 01:11:07 -0400

hi,

First of all, excuse my bad english.

I have some doubts about ibmtts use by speech dispatcher.

I'm using ibmtts spanish voice (voxin) with speech dispatcher and everything
seems to work fine, but I would like to deactivate ibmtts dictionary, couse
it turn out to be really annoying in some ocassions. I imagine that this
concerns more to Imbtts than speech dispatcher, but the dictionary is not
activated when using gnome-speech and thats why I think I could find answers
here.

Another problem that I?m having is that apparently dispatcher seems to use
less resourcess and have a faster answer than gnome-speech, but ibmtts voice
sounds interspersed, which it's annoying when I try to read long texts. This
appenrently happens in speak but haven't try it enough

Finnally, I've notice that since I activated speech dispatcher in my system
I can use all the audio reproduction programs, I can listen music without
trouble, etc, but I can't listen system sounds, even when I try to play them
in the sound dialog inside gnome preferences I can't hear absolutely nothing
and it doesn't give any failure.

My system is ubuntu hardy and according to what I've read about some
problems related to pulse and spd, I've activated "mixing" by software using
alsa and putting on /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ibmtts.conf
IbmttsAudioOutputMethod "alsa", I also have in
/etc/default/speech-dispatcher RUN_SPEECHD=yes. I understand that it isn't
the best configuration but when I read
about the problems I didn?t found any answer (I follow this discusion from
the orca list).

Best regards,
mk.