[Fwd: Re: [orca-list] gnome-speech seems to block orca]

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [orca-list] gnome-speech seems to block orca]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:20:17 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [orca-list] gnome-speech seems to block orca
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:22:12 +0100
Trom: Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com>
To: orca-list <orca-list at gnome.org>

[...]

I do still have a couple of problems. The IBMtts module doesn't seem to
use the right speed all the time. An example is that here at work I use
my computer in one account for work stuff, then I close X (I use startx
to start X rather than GDM), then at the text console I switch to my
personal account with su, and then start X (with startx again) and orca
speaks but it is at the speech-dispatcher default rate. This rate will
not go to what orca is set to unless I alter orca's rate, at which point
speech-dispatcher then reflects the orca setting. I suppose (if I am
actually right in saying it goes to the speech-dispatcher default rate)
I could set the default rate to what I want orca to use to solve this.

The other problem, possibly more of a general speech-dispatcher problem,
is that I need to set orca's rate to maximum when using
speech-dispatcher and IBMtts, I believe I am actually going a little
faster in gnome-speech (gnome speech can go much, much faster with
IBMtts). This wasn't such a problem for me with espeak as I didn't use
it quite as fast as I use IBMtts.