speech-dispatcher talking over itself

From: Jan Buchal
Subject: speech-dispatcher talking over itself
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:42:21 +0100

    MS> Hi, I raised this question on the gnome-orca mailing list a few
    MS> days ago, however as it is specifically related to
    MS> speech-dispatcher I thought it would be more appropriate to
    MS> discuss this issue here.

    >> To give you some background on my setup, I am running Ubuntu 8.10
    >> with PulseAudio disabled, and everything configured to use Alsa.
    >>
    >> The versions of orca and speech-dispatcher I am using are both
    >> the ones pre-packaged for Ubuntu, rather than the versions out of
    >> SVN.
    >>
    >> speech-dispatcher is configured as a system wide service, and is
    >> using flite as the default speech engine (although I have also
    >> tried Espeak with the same result).
Hello,

I don't know now why you have this problem but I can recommend you
generally several steps:

- Check if your SD is really good configured. For this try spd-conf
  script
- Check if you have one installation of SD only, no more version of
  libspeechd2, python-speechd, orca ...
- Check if your sound system works OK, try stop another sound
- Check if this problem is on text console too with another screen
  reader, yasr, brltty with SD output for example

I tried my SD with flite on Ubuntu 9.04 just now and works OK. If it not
helps then set log level to 5 and switch debugging on and check the
flite.log file.

Have a nice day

--

Jan Buchal