speak() in python ignoring callback (for BEGIN)

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: speak() in python ignoring callback (for BEGIN)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:36:44 +0200

Richard Schwarting napsal(a):
> Neither of those are really good solutions, but the logic seems more
> messed up than I thought:

Hello,

you might call it ,,messed up'', but it is also true that the
logic of implementation of handling of asynchronous text protocol
events in a client library is not an easy thing in principle.
I believe a separate thread is necessary.

I know of some succesful uses of the Python speechd library
where callbacks are used (Orca or an OLPC activity I believe),
but their use of callbacks might be different or might suffer
the same problem less frequently. As was said in the TODO: item,
we know about the problem.

I won't have any time now to fix it, but I'll accept any patches,
so feel free to look into it. Perhaps it is a good idea to
change the whole mechanism how the callbacks are invoked,
as long as the functionality is maintained for the client
application developers.

Thanks for your input,
Hynek Hanke
Brailcom