Question with $PLAY_COMMAND

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: Question with $PLAY_COMMAND
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:18:36 -0600

Steve Holmes wrote:
> Well, I found what I think might be another bug.  When I looked in my
> speechd.conf more closely, I found the default audiooutput method was
> commented out though the default is aclaimed to be SLSA.  When I
> uncommented this line and restarted speechd, it worked fine the first

The default audio output method as of right now is pulse,alsa.
So it'll try pulse, and then try alsa if that doesn't work.
The exception is Solaris, where the default is OSS.
These defaults are established in src/server/config.c.

Unfortunately, the code that selects $PLAY_COMMAND cannot cope with lists
of audio output methods, such as "pulse,alsa".  The comparisons of the form
                if (!strcmp(audio_settings.audio_output_method, "oss"))
in generic.c need to be replaced.
Lists of output methods are parsed in module_utils.c, and a
variable named module_audio_output_method contains the method from the
list which is actually being used.
E.G., if you're using alsa, then the value of module_audio_output_method
is AUDIO_ALSA.

In other words,
                if (!strcmp(audio_settings.audio_output_method, "oss"))
should be
if (module_audio_output_method == AUDIO_OSS),
and so forth.  Am I boring you yet?  Does this make sense?  Regardless,
I think I'm getting an understanding of what is happening.

-- Chris