[Opentts-dev] Speech-dispatcher, OpenTTS, and the outcome of my discussi

From: William Hubbs
Subject: [Opentts-dev] Speech-dispatcher, OpenTTS, and the outcome of my discussion with Brailcom staff.
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:48:21 -0500

Hi All,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 04:53:02AM -0500, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> Tomas Cerha wrote:
> > While registering, you will just indicate whether you agree with the
> > contributors agreement.  We considered whether it is not too much
> > bureaucracy, but we believe it is not and it is important enough.
>
> Hi Tomas,
> In comparison, GNU supposedly requires legal papers from people who
> contribute to their projects.  Filling out an on-line form is hardly onerous.

 I am also fine with registering this way to become a contributor.

> > We tried to address it in the rules.  They explicitly say that external
> > devs may become patch reviewers and that the maintainer may be
> > substituted when, for any reason, not able to do the necessary work.
>
> This eliminates the primary reason for the fork.
> I won't be contributing to it, and I look forward to working with
> everyone on Speech Dispatcher.

 Same here.  For me, the primary reason for getting involved in a fork
 was because of the perception that if Brailcom didn't have funding the
 development of Speech Dispatcher would be stopped until they did.

 However, since that has been addressed, I am also looking forward to
 working with everyone on Speech Dispatcher.

William