Fwd: Integrating speech speed control

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Fwd: Integrating speech speed control
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:01:31 -0400

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM, William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about working with the synthesizer authors to get it integrated
> directly into the synthesizers instead?
>
> That way, you don't have to necessarily use sd to be able to gain the
> benefits of this feature.

I am trying to get sonic integrated with espeak, but the approach only
works with the open source stuff.  Voxin doesn't need it, but it's a
good example of a closed-source TTS that isn't likely to ship any new
Linux version in the near future.  Frankly, think it belongs in both,
as it can help with closed-source TTS in sd, while many applications
use espeak stand-alone, where it can still be a benefit without sd.
I'm also suggesting working with the emacspeak speech server, and I'd
like to see it in the Android speech stack.  As it seems to work well
with librivox.org audio books, I'd like to have an Android app that
can let me control the speed of audio books.  I just wish I could
incorporate it in my answering machine, as being able to play back my
mother's messages at high speed would be very nice.

Bill