Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"

From: Gilles Casse
Subject: Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:56:13 +0100

marc wrote:
> I made this remark at the http://rmll.info last summer in Nantes.
>
> I you have Text to Speech (TTS), the "old" way is to invent some
> mathematical function and to generate a "sound" which is "close" (in
> Hausdorf distance?) to the spoken words.
>
> But these mathematical formulas date from times when computers didn't
> have the possibilities to contain about 60.000 MP3s from a human
> speaker. If we could organise it that way, the concatanation of the
> words would be better than the mathematical contruction.  And if you
> learned how to make a higher sound at the end of a question, you should
> be able to adapt the mp3 too.
>
> Problem is: we will have to throw away a lot of work by
> mathematicians...  Mathematicians never had patents (the Greek would be
> rich ;-).  But we throw away a lot of stuff in computer science ...

To complete this thread from February 2010:

Mr Chaumont Devin built in the past a TTS based on pre-recorded words
and still uses it.

Features of the English TTS:
- 78000 pre-recorded words,
- 5GB of disk space, wav files, 44100Hz,
- Each word is a separate wav file having the same name as the word in
  the text.

He also developed similar vocabularies for Hawaiian, the language of
Buru Island, Ambon Malay, formal Indonesian, and Vietnamese.

Please found below a sample:
http://oralux.net/data/201011/tts.mp3

Best regards,
Gilles