libsonic source hosting

From: William Hubbs
Subject: libsonic source hosting
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:04:52 -0600

Hi Bill,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:04:27AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> Sorry I missed this thread until now.  Thanks for the offer of
> hosting.  Currently, the home page is at:
>
> http://vinux-project.org/sonic
>
> If I host libsonic at Brailcom, will that make integrating it as a
> library with SD easier?  If so, I'm for it.  I like the idea of
> keeping libsonic as a separate library, but I understand why people
> simply add sonic.c and sonic.h to their apps.

 If it is just a library, I would just do releases from your current
 home page as tarballs then it would be an external dependency for
 speech dispatcher or any other program that wants to use it.

My concern about directly integrating the source into sd, espeak, etc,
is that any time you later decide to make a change, all of the programs
that use it have to be updated, but if you just have programs use it as
an external library, all they have to do is link in the new library.

> I have working prototype integration with SD.  I put it in src/audio,
> and it directly speeds up or slows down the audio stream, and also can
> adjust pitch.  However, I hard-coded the pitch and speed, as I don't
> know the best way to add user-control over these parameters.  Would
> this code be of any use?  If so, I'll clean it up a bit and post it
> here.

Well, why not make sonic an external library and just set up speech
dispatcher so that it can link to the library instead of intigrating the
source into it?