speechd-el faces, voices, parameters.

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: speechd-el faces, voices, parameters.
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:08:51 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page)

Hi,

There are two questions. First one was already discussed but I
cannot remember to which conclusion we came :

1. When associating a voice to a face, face is assumed by
speechd-el to be a symbol whereas in emacs it might be a list
of symbols. A minimal solution to this problem is to slightly
modify the test in the speechd-el code. I have done it for my
own and it works. But I suspect that when there are multiple
faces at a point emacs applies certain rules to treat this
list. Ideally speechd-el should follow these rules "vocally" !

2. When we have a voice associated to a face, I suspect that
when switching to it, not all parameters are passed. Indeed I
have a first voice associated to the latex-mode that is
intended to read the current text. The punctuation mode for
this voice is set to some which seems the most convenient. But
when fiding a formula (between dollars) the face changes. At
this point it might be very convenint that everything is
read. Hence I defined another voice associated to the
font-latex-math-face whose punctuation mode is all. When
encountering a formula there actually is a voice switching
(text voice is female since formula voice is male) so I can
hear it ! But punctuation mode remains to some !

I must add that :

- The tex source is correct no missing dollars or thing like
  that since it compiles without any error.

- I tested the voice switching both in english and french, and
  result is the same. So I may not suspect the festival french
  engine (which is at least very unstable at the moement) to be
  responsible of this behavior.

- I did not completely investigate speechd-el code to see how
  parameters are sent.

Regards

Pierre