google chrome abandoned speech-dispatcher

From: Jarek Czekalski
Subject: google chrome abandoned speech-dispatcher
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:38:36 +0200

Hi guys

I'm not programming anymore, but I just discovered that I promised to
forward a post here, which I forgot to do. It's about a roadmap
partially. Google Chrome rejected to support speech-dispatcher by
default due to its frequent crashes. I would say that improving
stability should be the major thing on the roadmap.

Here is the post on google group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/axs-chrome-discuss/3DUy0F6HOuc

Don't know if the link requires authorization, so copying a part here,
by David from Google:

> From memory,
> when given what is not an unreasonable amount of text, we've observed
> Speech Dispatcher will crash. Less severe is the tendency of Spd to
> act unexpectedly when we are processing a set of queued utterances;
> this mainly hinges upon Spd's ability to deliver events to the caller
> such as speech started/ended.
>
> If you take a look at Orca's sources, they have extremely specific
> work arounds to deal with this such as re-starting Speech Dispatcher
> when it crashes.
>
> There is, unfortunately, a higher bar for the TTS API exposed by
> Chrome, so we have made the compromise of disabling it by default.
> This could change in the future if we find Spd becomes more stable.

Best wishes to all of you
Jarek