[External] Re: DEC-TALK USB

From: Klarich , Terry J .
Subject: [External] Re: DEC-TALK USB
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 16:49:38 +0000

Hi Luke:

The DEC-Talk USB does support index marks.  From your note, I'm thinking it is
important for SPD to have an accurate acknowledgement of when speech actually
terminates.

Index marks from 0 to 99 are supported by the DTUSB.  When a SPEAK command is
issued, I believe SPD starts with __SPD_INDEX_MARK_0 and then increments the
number each time an index mark is issued.  How many index marks can be issued
by SPD for each SPEAK command?

By using index marks to tell SPD when speech is done, I will need to
distinguish between index marks that are reported back to SPD and the index
mark that indicates when speech is complete.  Do I always use index 99 for
this?  Or, would it be better to use index mark n + 1 where n is the last index
mark issued by spd during the SPEAK command?

If SPD can issue more than 100 index marks per SPEAK command, I will need to
use Modula 100 and keep track of the last index mark returned.

Any suggestions or insights are welcome.

THANKS!
Terry