Re: Fail to setup default language of speech-dispatcher 0.9.1

From: Cameron Wong
Subject: Re: Fail to setup default language of speech-dispatcher 0.9.1
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:12:27 +0800

Hi Samuel,

Thank you very much!

After I change my system locale to Deutsch(de), `spd-say 123` speaks in German.

I think I should contact espeak-ng maintainers to make espeak-ng support locale of Chinese correctly. Make zh-CN equal to cmn(Mandarin), and zh-HK equal to yue(Cantonese).

However, I am puzzled with this configuration rule. Locale is not always one-to-one mapping to speech. I am living in Guangzhou, China. I read in Simplified Chinese (locale zh-CN), but speaks in Cantonese (maybe locale zh-HK). How should I achieve my requirement?

When I run `orca -s` to launch the setting window of Orca, there is drop-down menu for me to change speech language. However, it seems does not work. Orca keeps speaking in current locale language. Is this related to the same issue? If so, does it mean that Orca cannot change speech language any more?

Cameron

Samuel Thibault <address@hidden> 于2020年2月20日周四 上午8:05写道:
Hello,

Cameron Wong, le mer. 19 févr. 2020 18:52:13 +0800, a ecrit:
> When I run `spd-say 123` in command line, it says in English.
>
> When I run `spd-say -lcmn 123`, it says in Chinese correctly.
> (cmn is for Chinese Mandarin, pay attention that not to use zh-CN)
>
> When I config Chinese Mandarin(cmn) as default language with spd-conf, it
> always keeps speaking English.

Yes, the default locale now overrides the spd-conf configuration, as
requested on:

https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/99

Samuel