Re: speech-dispatcher and userspace chroot environment on Android

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: speech-dispatcher and userspace chroot environment on Android
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:51:25 +0200

Hello,

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel, le mer. 27 mai 2020 13:30:27 +0200, a ecrit:
> Festival must be run as A server. Is it possible to run it as A normal app
> or is it really necessary to run it as A Linux service? Because systemd do
> not function in chroot mode on ArchLinux at all.
> I Am wondering, if would be possible to run Festival as A server but not
> like a Linux service.

It would be possible to write a configuration file to use the generic
script to run something like:

printf "(require 'speech-dispatcher) (speechd-enable-multi-mode 't)
(speechd-set-rate %d) (SayText \"%s\")" "$RATE" "$DATA" Hello | festival --pipe

This needs to be enriched with other parameters in order to configure
pitch, volume, language etc.

That'll however probably have lower flexibility than the festival
server. Notably no way to get the list of supported voices.

Samuel