Re: Speech-dispatcher dropping audio after switch to optical out

From: Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
Subject: Re: Speech-dispatcher dropping audio after switch to optical out
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:21:33 +0200

On 28/05/2020 15.44, Nolan Darilek wrote:

I seem to have fixed this. Added the following systemd unit to ~/.config/systemd/user/continuous-noise.service, enabled and started:

[Unit]
Description=Continuous noise

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/play -qn synth whitenoise vol 0.001

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

Arrived at 0.001 after tweaking input and output levels such that I could lower it and make the white noise less audible. Initially I needed 0.01, but that introduced significant artifacts, and anything less still dropped speech. I increased my computer volume until 0.001 kept the connection active, then dropped the soundbar volume so I still had a bit of headroom and can get a reasonable volume range if I want it. I also tried brown noise, but that introduced artifacts into the sub channel that were even more audible. I still get a bit of white noise, but I'll just pretend I'm living in the 80s and deal. :)

For an improvemnt in your idea: play a constant track of, not white noise, but noise above 21K / below 22K, at the same volumes.

Glad to have been of service!
--
    Rudd-O
    http://rudd-o.com/