Re: making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin

From: илья пащук
Subject: Re: making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 22:04:14 +0300

I think such modification to speechd can be only a pro.

modules that can't do that will use an old way, but modules that is able will switch.

I think this should be not implemented as full new SpeechOutputMethod in the config, because this option is needed to define what method should be used at the end of the chain, no matter by speechd or module itself, but as fully new option.

about the protocol:

on start modules can start with old text based protocol, but on first stage can switch to new binary protocol, or it can be set with help of module file extensions. linux allows executables with any extension, why don't use it, or by exec parameters, or by the both last methods.

I think new proto should be an binary protocol working by the following way:

instead text lines systems should exchange MessagePack objects (msgpack.org)

this serializing system is very popular and supported in all major languages, and it allows for safe transport of raw byte sequences, but in the same time it allows to send strings, numbers, untyped arrays and maps, allowing to transfer complex data structures.

by this way we will create new, modern protocol for modules that will be in some places iwen simpler to use than our current protocol.