Re: [orca-list] No speech in lightdm

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: [orca-list] No speech in lightdm
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 19:38:48 -0400

I have speaking lightdm! My locale was unset. Generating and setting a locale other than C gives me speaking lightdm. I also installed lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings and enabled the reader, entered orca as the reader command and set it to enable at start. My /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf looks like:

[greeter]
reader = orca
a11y-states = +reader

As I have only one user, it is prompting me for the password, and upon entering the password, it says "screen reader off." My MATE session then starts normally, and although it does not say "screen reader on," I do have speech in MATE. So what needs to happen is that a default language needs to be set in Orca for those times when the locale is C.

~Kyle