straw-devel

[Straw-devel] alternative views

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] alternative views
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:16:54 +0200

At the moment Straw does the more or less traditional three pane view.
There are, however, three other ways to present the articles. Well,
more, but three obvious and rather logical ones. I'm not saying we must
support all of them, but maybe we should. At least one or two of them.
It wouldn't be exactly hard, after all - the most difficult part would
be to make the necessary views in glade and to make the code to select
views graceful.  I'd like to hear your thoughts about these. I'll
enumerate the options below.

1) Subscriptions list + article view

The user selects which feed to read from the list, the article view
contains all the items in the feed, one after the other.

2) Article list + article view

The article list contains all the articles in all the feeds (there
should be one extra column saying which feed it is), article view
contains the selected one.

3) Article view

The article view contains all the articles in all the feeds.

And of course, options two and three might still have the subscriptions
list visible, but it wouldn't be used for selecting feeds to read. And
maybe those "all the items" item views should be paginated if the number
of articles to show is > N. A page list in the place of the item list? A
dropdown list of pages? Links?

Would you find it useful to have one or many of these available, as
alternatives to the current view? How do you think it should work?

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]