straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] on removing the subscriptions list from preferences

From: Scott Douglas-Watson
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:56:21 +0000

My 2 cents:

Let's keep the subscriptions preference tab as it is, until all the
manipulation operations can be performed on the main list, and until
subscribe tool can handle all the weird corner cases (that is, until
rssfinder has been modified to use the facilities in URLFetch.)

It might be worthwhile keeping the subscriptions tab around even after that.
The HIG recommends that all functionality available through popup menus
should be available elsewhere as well, as  some users might not be aware
popup menus are available.  That said,  changes I was considering for the
subscriptions tab:
- lose the editable cells and use the properties dialog through a properties
button.
- add button brings up an empty properties dialog which the user can enter info into.
- lose the location column.
- reorder of buttons to : Ascending, Up, Down, Add, Delete. As add and delete are probably going to be used less frequently as their functionality is available from the
main screen.

Current bugs in the subscriptions tab:
- I don't think the list reacts to feedlist changes (ie. delete from main window doesn't update list).
- dragging doesn't change order.

(Oh, and on the topic of the subscriptions list, something I mentioned
on IRC but I guess no one was awake: is it intentional that right click
also selects the feed? I find it pretty weird.)

Nope, not intentional, shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Subscriber tool should basically be modified to do async network IO and
it should, as a final option, allow the user to subscribe to whatever
URI he typed, whether or not anything could be found there. I'm not
quite sure how it works ATM.

Async IO stuff will probably require a fair bit of rework for the rssfinder, but probably fairly little on the subscribe tool side. Maybe if no feed was found we could show a "create feed anyway" button which will link to a properties dialog with the url the user entered.

Cheers,
Scott