straw-devel

[Straw-devel] resurrecting scott's main window layout

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: [Straw-devel] resurrecting scott's main window layout
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:45:29 +0200

So I've been working a bit on Scott's main window layout that got dumped
before 0.20. I personally like it a lot, and unless someone has some
pretty good arguments, I think I'm going to commit the stuff.

See http://www.iki.fi/juri/shots/ for a bunch of screenshots related to
it. -1 is a feed with no description. -2 has a short description, and
the rest are of a feed with a long description, variously squeezed.

I've changed things around so that the href widget contains, in the
order of preference, the feed's channel_title, the user-specified title,
the channel_link. And we don't show the description if it's identical to
the title.

As you might notice, the href widget doesn't do wrapping; I suppose it's
a property of buttons. I tried to set set_line_wrap on the label inside
the widget but it didn't help.

A few open questions: should there be a upper limit to the label height?
Not that I know how to do it, but I guess I could try. And is the
current arrangement OK or should the link be the last one? That way, it
would always be in a fixed position. I don't know if it's used so often
that it matters, though.

I dropped the bar/toggle button because I thought it didn't look too
great down there. Do people think a disclosure widget is necessary? I
think I would go for a wide button at the bottom of the screen and an up
arrow when it was closed, it would rise above the info and the arrow
would point downwards when open. Buttons just eat quite a bit of
vertical space.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]