straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] alternative views

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] alternative views
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:10:01 +1100

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 04:36, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> > Not all. There should be an option in the properties on how many items
> > to display for this feed for this view. Either that or just display the
> > new items.
>
> Only new items probably won't work. The whole new items (or unread
> items, really) concept will have some serious trouble adapting to a view
> where the user doesn't explicitly select articles. There's no way to
> know if the user has read a particular article when they are using the
> combined view, so what we probably have to do is mark all articles in
> feed X as read as soon as the user enters feed X. (Note that this only
> applies to the combined view - a view with the article list would
> function as it does now.)

Yeah, after having much thought about it, it's probably better if we
just add views in the menu rather than views appearing automagically.

> > > 3) Article view
> > >
> > > The article view contains all the articles in all the feeds.
> >
> > Does anyone feel strongly about having this?
>
> I don't know about people on the list - I suppose y'all more or less
> like the three pane view, or you wouldn't be here - but I've heard other
> people express the opionion that they prefer an all-in-one view. And I
> admit it works pretty well on, for example, Planet GNOME.

We can actually do this once we've implemented categories. IMO,
attaching this view to a parent node (e.g. a group) and selecting that
node displays all articles in all the feeds on that view.

<snip>

> > With the proposed view, I can easily browse the articles at the same
> > time shift my attention to the item view if I want to read that article.
>
> Yeah, as I said on IRC, might be a nice idea if only it didn't eat so
> much horizontal real estate. However, basically there's no good way to
> fit that kind of window into 1024 pixels, at least I don't think there
> is, and even 1024 is a bit on the wide side. I suppose we might drop the
> keep column and instead make it a flag that would display the same way
> as the images are shown in the subscriptions list, but I don't think
> that's enough.
>
> I might include this as an option, if it was implemented cleanly enough.
> I'm not sure how big an impact it would have on the code, though...
> you'd need a tabbed pane (with invisible tabs), plus some code that
> moved widgets from one tab to another, as you can't have the same widget
> in more than one place, I believe.

Yep. We'll see though as views, AFAIK, not a priority atm :) Let's
probably discuss this sometime after 0.22. I wanna do some minimal stuff
for 0.22 and don't wanna think about this for the meantime :)

Cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo <address@hidden>