straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] snapshot of straw available

From: Jan Michael C. Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] snapshot of straw available
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:42:01 +1100

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 08:36, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> A snapshot of my current working directory of Straw is available in
> http://www.iki.fi/juri/store/dl/ .

Thanks.

> Pretty much all the caveats that applied last time apply now, too:
>
> There are some unfinished features.
> There are probably some features that I haven't even thought about
> starting.
> There are almost certainly features I thought were finished but are
> actually not.
> There are some features that work illogically.
> There are various dead ends and pieces of old crud that should be
> cleaned up in the code. I've tried to prepend some of those with
> assertions ("assertion False".) Some of that "old crud" is left-overs
> from the previous approach to categories, so not very old, but stuff
> that has no use now anyway.
> And there might be a few features you think work illogically, and we'll
> end up disagreeing about.
> It'll probably thrash your configuration and db, so take a backup.

I think this is also the best time to raise ALL EXCEPTIONS so we can
cleanup and fix stuff as well. Do you think so?

> But it would be nice to hear some feedback about it.
>
> It sports multiple categories per feed, category selection by dropdown.
>
> Categories are manipulated via a tab in the preferences dialog. The list
> thingy there doesn't work and the tab probably could use work in other
> ways too. I won't mind if someone feels like doing something about it
> :-)

We can do that later once we stabilized the code a bit :-D

> Feeds are attached to categories via the feed properties dialog.

Good. :)

> You can drag feeds around in categories and it'll remember the
> positions, but that won't work yet in the All and Uncategorized
> pseudocategories. I'm not yet sure what would be the keyboard equivalent
> - should we do feed moving by cut/copy/paste? It would probably be
> logical. And I guess we should allow multiple selection.

> The feed and article movement commands work at the moment only within
> the category. Maybe they should be extended to work across categories.
> Should they? Opinions?

That would be confusing I think. IMO, we should implement the "basics"
first, then do the extras later on once "The User" gets the feel of the
new features. In that way, we won't confuse the user that much with the
new features and also evaluate if there's really a need for it.

> I guess the category menu should use bold text when necessary (um, is it
> possible?) and number of unread indicators.

Number of unread is good.

> Should the category selection box be moved above the Subscriptions:
> label and be preceded by Categories:? I think it probably should.

Are you thinking of implementing all this for 0.22?

> A number of features broke with the introduction of categories. We'll
> need a bit more thorough testing than usually before release. One thing
> that springs to mind is OPML import/export: even if it works, it should
> probably understand categories now. Although the format isn't really
> designed to deal with the fact that we're not dealing really with a
> hierachy (well, you could just cut that sentence after "designed". But
> anyway.)
>
> There are probably other things I should mention but I can't remember
> anything at the moment.

How is CVS in savannah btw? If you have time, wanna try arch?

I just have one concern atm. Won't it be funny that "A Feed" appears in
multiple categories? Won't the user say "Hey, I just read this feed in
category X, why is it still here?"

> BTW, I had to disable the .encode('utf-8') thing in utils.read_text as
> it was causing breakage here. So, as I said, not a solution.

Yep, that's alright. Just remember that we should fix it before the
release. :)

Thanks a lot for starting the categories btw. */me gives juri a beer*

Cheers.
--
Jan Michael C. Alonzo <address@hidden>