straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] snapshot of straw available

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] snapshot of straw available
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:34:55 +0200

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 12:42, Jan Michael C. Alonzo wrote:
> I think this is also the best time to raise ALL EXCEPTIONS so we can
> cleanup and fix stuff as well. Do you think so?

Might be a good idea. Still, I'm not sure if everyone should have to
live with them, maybe it would be sufficient for Someone to do it :-)

> > But it would be nice to hear some feedback about it.
> >
> > It sports multiple categories per feed, category selection by dropdown.
> >
> > Categories are manipulated via a tab in the preferences dialog. The list
> > thingy there doesn't work and the tab probably could use work in other
> > ways too. I won't mind if someone feels like doing something about it
> > :-)
>
> We can do that later once we stabilized the code a bit :-D

Yeah, I guess. For what it's worth, the way to know when something
happens to categories is to connect to FeedCategoriesChanged signal from
FeedCategoryList.

> > You can drag feeds around in categories and it'll remember the
> > positions, but that won't work yet in the All and Uncategorized
> > pseudocategories. I'm not yet sure what would be the keyboard equivalent
> > - should we do feed moving by cut/copy/paste? It would probably be
> > logical. And I guess we should allow multiple selection.
>
> > The feed and article movement commands work at the moment only within
> > the category. Maybe they should be extended to work across categories.
> > Should they? Opinions?
>
> That would be confusing I think. IMO, we should implement the "basics"
> first, then do the extras later on once "The User" gets the feel of the
> new features. In that way, we won't confuse the user that much with the
> new features and also evaluate if there's really a need for it.

Maybe you are right. Let's see how this works out and then see what can
be done to make it better. The current behaviour is probably sensible.

> > Should the category selection box be moved above the Subscriptions:
> > label and be preceded by Categories:? I think it probably should.
> >

> Are you thinking of implementing all this for 0.22?

Well, it's not as if it required more than five minutes in Glade :-)

> How is CVS in savannah btw? If you have time, wanna try arch?

As I said on IRC - I guess now might be a good time to move over to
Arch. Who knows when Savannah will be completely back.

> I just have one concern atm. Won't it be funny that "A Feed" appears in
> multiple categories? Won't the user say "Hey, I just read this feed in
> category X, why is it still here?"

I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. After all, they put it in
multiple categories themselves. Well, except for the All category, but
still, I think most people won't be confused. I don't think it's that
hard a concept :-)

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]