straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:49:38 +0200

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 10:06, Jan Michael C. Alonzo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sort of cleaning up the Makefile and I'm just wondering where's the
> right place to install the straw libs?
>
> $(LIBDIR)/python2.x/site-packages seems to be for python specific
> libraries and "supposed to be" not for application libraries. Ross[1]
> seems to install it in /usr/lib/{straw} and I wonder where do other
> distros install their package?
>
> I would like to suggest installing it in /usr/lib/{straw}. Any opinions?
> suggestions?

Um, "{straw}"? I agree with Ross here. I've sort of understood that
site-packages is really meant for general-purpose libraries. /usr/share
is also a possibility, at least assuming that the Python byte-codes are
platform independent. I'm not quite sure if they are, and I'm too lazy
to investigate right now.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]