straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Article history

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Article history
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:24:08 +0300

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 00:41 +1000, Iain McCoy wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I've been doing a little work on an article history feature. The basic
> model that I think most sensible is that every time we store an updated
> version of an article, rather than just clobbering the old one we store
> it away and store the current version as well. Every change in the
> article leads to one more version being stored.

Have you considered storing only diffs? I guess it's a time (and
possibly code complexity) vs. space issue, really... maybe the articles
don't change so often that storing the complete old versions would be a
problem.

> The thing that I can't decide on is this: what is it about an article
> that needs to be tracked throughout revisions? My current inclination is
> to have article bodies be 'versioned', so to speak (with the date/time
> of the article serving as a version identifier), and to clobber
> everything else when it changes.
>
> That seems to me to be the most sensible compromise between utility and
> preposterous code, but it's not a decision that I'm confident about. Is
> there something I'm missing?

No, I don't think so, sounds good to me. I guess in some situation
storing changes to the title might be interesting, but maybe it's not
worth it.
--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]