straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] UTF-8

From: Steve Laniel
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] UTF-8
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:13:21 -0400

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:22:25PM +0300, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> Well, it depends. Generally speaking, Straw doesn't have a problem with
> UTF-8. Now, I haven't looked too closely at your feed (and I wouldn't
> know what's a valid UTF-8 byte sequence anyway), but see what the feed
> validator says: http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%
> 2Flaniels.org%2Frss

Huh. Well, now I have egg on my face. It's a little
puzzling, actually: the FeedValidator said that it didn't
recognize some of the characters in the feed. Those turned
out to be characters that commenters to my site copied from
my feed (curly quotes, for instance) that didn't play nicely
with the validator. Now, those shouldn't have messed up
Straw's validation, and they never have before. Then again,
I only recently switched the encoding to UTF-8, so it's
probably some bizarre interaction amongst new changes.

Anyway, now it's all working fine in Straw. Sorry for the
false alarm.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
address@hidden