Re: [STUMP] Feedback and bugfixes

From: Philippe Brochard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Feedback and bugfixes
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:05:03 +0100

Shawn Betts writes:

> Philippe Brochard <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [ SNIP - bug fixes]
>
> Hi! Thanks for the bug fixes. They should be in CVS shortly.

Ok, thanks a lot.

>> Also, I have add a REPL in the main loop:
>> [ SNIP - REPL]
>> Note, it needs an event to be evaluated.
>
> Nice! I intend to add a loop hook that you can latch your hack into. I
> intend to have something similar to ratpoison's --command and the
> Scheme Configurable WM's remove eval loop (which ratpoison's --command
> stuff is based on). It's a way to send a a string to an X client and
> get a response using windows and properties. But until that's built
> this hook and your repl code will do :).
>
>> Another thing, the rc file is read after the default bindings is
>> done. This prevent to redefine the *prefix-key* from the ~/.stumpwmrc.
>
> I intend to have a function that allows you to change the prefix
> key. For now you'll have to change it in the source :|.

Ok, that's what I've done :)

And I've seen your last hack but I have no time to test it this week-end.

>> And thanks a lot for this great work !
>
> It's always motivating to hear about ppl actually using StumpWM. I
> might even code up the above intended features now :).

I don't know what you plan to add in stumpwm, but I'd like to add some
little stuff :

- A maximize/minimize current frame so the current frame pop-up to
  maximize-x, maximize-y, maximize-width, maximize-height. And
  vice-versa.

- A save layout as the emacs windows register so you can switch from a
  view to another. I think this can be done by saving each frames (x,
  y, width, heigth) and each window number in each frames. Or maybe a
  better way is to save *screen-list*.

- Maybe a way to place a frame at x,y, width, height (but this break
  the stumpwm philosophie and I'm not sure it's a good idea).

- A way to select window/frame with keyboard up/down or with the
  mouse. (this can be simply an dialog window with all frames/windows).

I can hack some of this stuff if you want.

For now, I've add a little command to select a window by number but
with the windows list displayed (I just move the window list a little
below the input dialog). You can find this stuff here if you're
interested :

   http://hocwp.free.fr/temp/stumpwmrc

Regards,

Philippe

PS: I've tested the last hack with clisp and cmucl. All works fine
with cmucl but I can't compile it with clisp. I got this :

-- clisp load.lisp --
*** - POSITION-IF: :START should be an integer >=0, not NIL
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip 29 72 (DEFVAR *ROOT-MAP* (LET # # ...) ...)-2
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/home/phil/local/stumpwm-cvs/stumpwm-cvs/stumpwm/user.fas
RETRY          :R3      Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL #x2046B2F6> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "user" #x2046CAE6>.
ACCEPT         :R4      Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL #x2046B2F6> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "user" #x2046CAE6> as having been successful.
SKIP           :R5      skip (OOS 'LOAD-OP STUMPWM)
STOP           :R6      stop loading file
/home/phil/local/stumpwm-cvs/stumpwm-cvs/stumpwm/load.lisp
ABORT          :R7      ABORT
Break 1 STUMPWM[2]>
The following special variables were defined too late:
 STUMPWM::*TOP-MAP*
0 errors, 34 warnings

PPS: Also stumpwm crash when I use links2 in graphic mode (problems
with geometry-hints).

     http://links.twibright.com/

--
Philippe Brochard    <address@hidden>